Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Me, B, and Kitty Makes 3

One day out of the blue at the end of October, I got a message on LinkedIn asking if I was interested in a position. My old job was... okay. Not very uplifting, no company morale, mind games and shiftiness galore. It wasn't the worst. But I didn't like it, and as it was a temp-to-hire position, I decided to get out before it was too late. I'd been unsuccessfully searching for weeks, so anything at this point. I said yes to hearing about the position. And I had a phone interview, and a skype interview, and an in-person interview, and I really liked this company and the people and I wanted it. Those types of things happen to me. Usually no matter how much I search for something, the thing I'm wanting finds me when it's good and ready (I call that "God's timing").
Meanwhile, back at the homestead, B and I were deliberating if we wanted a pet. He hands down wanted a dog, but we both knew they are way more expensive to take care of, and require a lot more time and attention than we are ever able to give. And B knew I've always liked cats. Well, one day, one of our very good friends (also a cat person), texted B [mostly as a joke] asking if we wanted to adopt this cat that was living on their back porch. Well, I didn't take it seriously ("getouttadebtgetouttadebt"). B really did. So we weighed the costs:
 
PROS:
New job = raise
B graduates in December = raise, plus going from part- to full-time hours
Companionship from a furry feline
Frequent amusement = cats run into things a lot

CONS:
Pet deposit
Food, Litter, Vet, Toys, Tags, etc.
We have very specific get-outta-debt goals
Our couches = no scratchy-scratchy. 

Pretty equivalent there - well, minus the debt thing. In my head, I began equating the who-knows-if-it's-coming job offer with a resounding "yes!" for said kitty. In a nutshell: I got a call, we got a cat.  And we named him after our collectively favorite hobbit, Pippin. So far he's lived up to the name: eccentric, exceedingly curious, slightly stupid, thirsty for adventure, and young at heart. We have a 70/30 love/hate relationship so far. But that's a passing grade at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment